Boilers, kettles and industrial ovens place very high demands on insulation systems. Because they operate at very high temperatures, the main purpose of the insulation system is to protect personnel from skin burns, which can occur at temperatures above 60°C. A well designed insulation system will, however, also considerably reduce energy usage and CO2 emissions, helping to increase of the overall efficiency of the insulated item or system.
Types of Boiler Insulation in Kenya
There are various kinds of boiler insulation in Kenya and the following are some of these methods:
- Boiler insulation used for boilers and pipes are of those general types:
- high-density fiberglass formed for pipes or flat sections
- blankets or batts of fiberglass or nonconductor
- molded, fire brick, pre-cast or cast-in-place
- spray-on ceramic
- spray-on foam (more common in cold applications than hot)
The insulation is usually covered with some type of metal, plastic, paper, etc. to shield it from a light impact injury, UV exposure, and wetness.
The following are the major places that need to be insulated in a boiler plant:
- steam lines and hot water pipes
- condensate come back lines and collection vessels
- blowdown vessels used for warmth recovery
- all valves, fittings, and controls where practical
The Benefits of Boiler Insulation
Significant heat loss can cause a number of issues, including loss of money and hazardous work environments. Installing boiler insulation is an excellent way to prevent these problems and take advantage of a wide variety of benefits.
- Cost Savings
Loss of heat means loss of energy, which leads to higher expenses. If boiler pipes are left exposed as they carry heated fluid, more energy is needed to keep the boiler functioning at the optimal level. Boiler pipe insulation will prevent the loss of thermal energy and maintain low energy costs.
- Increased Efficiency
When you lose significant amounts of heat, the system needs to work harder to reach high temperatures and keep fluids heated. By insulating boilers, you ensure your boiler can heat up more easily and rapidly. This saves both time and money.
Proper insulation creates a safer work environment for you and your employees. When boiler pipes are left uninsulated, they become extremely hot. Employees working near these structures are then at risk for serious burns and other injuries if they come into contact with the heated component. With proper insulation, you will protect your employees from injury and prevent costly lawsuits.
There are a variety of factors that go into choosing the appropriate material for your insulation :
- The maximum temperatures reached by the insulated component
- Whether the component is indoors or outdoors
- Potential exposure to the elements
- Ambient temperatures
- Desired “touch temperature” of the component’s outer surface
- Safety requirements
- Desired system heat retention
- Space limitations
- Necessity and frequency of insulation removal
- Regulatory requirements
- Aesthetic requirements
Kenworks Ventures Company Limited are the leading experts in boiler insulation materials in Kenya such as Rockwool blankets, glass fiber insulation, high temperature ceramic tapes, in addition to boiler servicing.
Call us today on 0722 706 416 or email us at email@example.com.